Seven Different Fundraiser Letters
by Ugur Akinci
Fundraising letters come in many varieties. Before asking your copywriter to draft a fundraiser letter for your organization, perhaps you might want to consider the possibilities (credits go to Mal Warwick, an acknowledged master of fundraiser letters):
All these letters have a different format and need to be written with a technique, style and voice appropriate for the audience and fit the specific purpose.
- An ACQUISITION letter is sent to new a new list of prospects who have never contributed any donations to your organization.
- A WELCOME letter goes to those who have just joined your organization or sent in their first donations. A warm little welcome message goes a long way in terms of donor or membership loyalty and interest.
- A SPECIAL APPEAL letter urges your donors to contribute an additional amount for a special and worthwhile cause, perhaps one with a deadline on it.
- A YEAR-END APPEAL letter is a common one sent out by thousands of organizations every year and people contribute simply because it's a special gift-giving time of the year when we feel especially generous and altruistic.
- The HIGH-DOLLAR letter aims at the rich and powerful donors and invites them to send in generously for a special cause worthy of their fame and fortune, and which provides them with a sizable tax-deductible excuse to earn some PR points while doing good.
- The UPGRADE APPEAL letter asks the existing donors and/or members to ratchet up their support and move on to an even more exclusive circle of benefactors.
- The RENEWAL letter is the one we are all very familiar with, especially those of us who subscribe to magazines. Membership renewal letters are also sent out by countless organizations all across the USA to renew commitment and raise new dollars.
Before deciding to hire a copywriter, consult with a professional writer to make sure that your valuable resources will generate the expected maximum return. And that starts with first deciding on exactly which type of fundraising campaign to launch.
(To read more about these different types of letters, I higly recommend Mal Warwick's authoritative book "Write Successful Fundraising Letters," Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2001.)
About the Author:
by Ugur Akinci, Ph.D.
Creative Copywriter and Technical Communicator
Ugur Akinci, Ph.D. is a Creative Copywriter, Editor, an experienced and award-winning Technical Communicator specializing in fundraising packages, direct sales copy, web content, press releases and hi-tech documentation.
He has worked as a Technical Writer for Fortune 100 companies for the last 7 years.
You can reach him at email@example.com for a FREE consultation on all your copywriting needs.
Please visit his official web site writer111.com for customer testimonials and more information on his multidisciplinary background and career.
The last book he has edited: lulu.com/content/263630
Article Source: EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ugur_Akinci
The gold standard in nonprofit email newsletter delivery. Custom newsletter templates, funding appeals, event updates & more. 20% nonprofit discount!
7 Essential Steps to Raising Money by Mail
Learn with practical examples, detailed checklists, writing helps and other tools. Sample letters for different types of solicitations and for different nonprofit groups. A step by step guide to writing fundraising letters.
Silent Auction Guide & Toolkit
Learn how to create a successful silent auction fundraiser. Silent auction strategies, timelines, auction items and how to organize and display them, how to close an auction and take payments, and other add on fundraisers to boost the bottom line of your silent auction.
Let's Raise Money
The inside scoop about small group fundraising. Learn from the founder of a national fundraising company as he reveals secrets observed over nearly two decades of fundraising.
Read a Free Excerpt
The Ultimate Guide to Planning a 5K Run or Walk Fundraiser
Plan a successful race from scratch. Proven marketing strategies, find and manage volunteers, maximize revenues, recruit and motivate teams. Checklists, forms, speadsheets, worksheets all included.
Secrets of the Charity Auction Experts
Learn from the experts! Discover the best selling auction items. How to get auction items donated. How to boost attendance. How to get more bids and higher selling prices. How to coordinating volunteers, staff and auction consultants.
Grant Writing for Beginners
Learn how to quickly and easily establish relationships with regional foundations and build a strong base of grant support for your nonprofit.
Read a Free Excerpt