Make a Note of It by William Olcott
In his 11 years as editor of Fund Raising Management magazine, Bill Olcott wrote a monthly column entitled, Editor's Notebook. In it he reported on the big trends impacting the fundraising field and what effect they would have on fundraisers. His new book, Make a Note of It, are his best and most memorable columns. They represent a compendium of fundraising wit and wisdom from experts in the field. They touch all aspects of fundraising -- from successfully going one-on-one with a prospect to coping with stress in a world of permanent white water.
Fundraisers today face a bewildering mix of competition and change. Rather than being overwhelmed, they can find security in a return to the basics of fundraising. Study the successful fundraisers and you will discover their secret -- sticking to the basics and making technology work for them.
Even if technology changes every five minutes, certain basic truths of fundraising will always remain the same. Truths like generosity, leadership, enthusiasm, perseverance, ethical behavior, communication, living a balanced life, and laughter.
The ideas expressed here are timeless and will help today's fundraisers not only do their jobs better, but also enable them to enjoy the experience. The 138 page book has nine chapters that include:
- Philanthropy - In Search of the Commons, The Theology of the Hammer, What Philanthropy is all About, Bowling Alone, A Fund-Raising Pioneer
- The Fund-Raising Environment - The Aging of America, Fund Raising Enters a Golden Age, The Age of Positive Giving, The Best is Yet to Come, The Collapse of Caring, How to Make Sure Your Organization Survives, Are Today's Kids Selfish?
- Major Gifts - Give to Live, Don't Be Afraid to Talk about Money, Going One-on-One with a Prospect, How to Deal with Elderly Donors, Major Gifts: Changing People's Perspectives, Matters of the Heart
- Fund-Raising Techniques - Fund Raising as a Ministry, "Don't Just Do Something, Stand There!", "Ask for More ... You May Get It.", Are We Missing Opportunities?, Twenty Rules Not to Follow
- Leadership - What Makes a Great Fund Raiser?, The Magic of Leadership, The Quality of Leadership, Have We Buried Leadership?, The Crucial Role of the CEO, Show Me a Strong Board ...
- Management - Management Advice from the Master, Masters of the Routine, Do the Little Things Well, Sign of Greatness -- Persistence, Support Your Staff
- Communication - If You Want to be Understood, Stop, Think and Listen, Sharpening Communication Skills, Communicating in a Crisis, Communicating Campus Cutbacks
- Ethics - Accountability Pays Dividends, Winning and Ethics
- Taking Care of Yourself - Grow Bigger Than Your Problems, The Healing Power of Laughter, Are You Burning Out?, How to Handle Stress, How to Survive in a World of Permanent White Water
William Olcott does free-lance writing and editing in the fundraising field. He served as editor of Fund Raising Management from 1985 to 1996. He went to work at Fund Raising Management after 20 years with McGraw-Hill Publications Company in New York, where he served as editor-in-chief of two of its publications. Prior to joining McGraw-Hill, he worked for six years as a reporter/writer for the Associated Press in New York, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas.
Make a Note of It is hard cover cloth bound and is priced at $24.95. For information on how to purchase it contact:
160 East Illinois St
Chicago IL 60611 USA
Subscribe in a reader
We promise never to sell, rent, or give your|
email address to anyone else. PERIOD!
The gold standard in nonprofit email newsletter delivery. Custom newsletter templates, funding appeals, event updates & more. 20% nonprofit discount!
7 Essential Steps to Raising Money by Mail
Learn with practical examples, detailed checklists, writing helps and other tools. Sample letters for different types of solicitations and for different nonprofit groups. A step by step guide to writing fundraising letters.
Silent Auction Guide & Toolkit
Learn how to create a successful silent auction fundraiser. Silent auction strategies, timelines, auction items and how to organize and display them, how to close an auction and take payments, and other add on fundraisers to boost the bottom line of your silent auction.
Let's Raise Money
The inside scoop about small group fundraising. Learn from the founder of a national fundraising company as he reveals secrets observed over nearly two decades of fundraising.
Read a Free Excerpt
The Ultimate Guide to Planning a 5K Run or Walk Fundraiser
Plan a successful race from scratch. Proven marketing strategies, find and manage volunteers, maximize revenues, recruit and motivate teams. Checklists, forms, speadsheets, worksheets all included.
Secrets of the Charity Auction Experts
Learn from the experts! Discover the best selling auction items. How to get auction items donated. How to boost attendance. How to get more bids and higher selling prices. How to coordinating volunteers, staff and auction consultants.
Grant Writing for Beginners
Learn how to quickly and easily establish relationships with regional foundations and build a strong base of grant support for your nonprofit.
Read a Free Excerpt